Friday, November 25, 2011

Daily Thoughts 11/25/2011


Jeune Fille Lissant, 1868, Pierre-Auguste Renoir



Daily Thoughts 11/25/2011

Today has been a quiet, steady day.  Maintenance sent out our shipment to Better World Books on Monday.  I also updated the Twitter and Facebook pages for the library this morning.  I checked the displays this morning as well.  I spent a little time updating the current events display.

This afternoon, I spent some time discussing grants for the E-readers.  We may be working on a grant to get subscriptions to electronic magazines and newspapers.  I am going to try with local organizations first.

I have been talking to a few people about programs.  It should be interesting in the coming week.

This evening on the way home, I read some more of The Better Angels of Our Natures. I am almost finished reading the book.  I like his ideas about how democratization, trade, and the international community reduce war.  I also like Steven Pinker's focus on reason and science in this book.  I am not sure that I agree that classical liberalism reduces violence.  It does create a focus on rational discourse though.  I also believe that smarter, more educated people tend to be less violent.


The book, The Collapse of American Criminal Justice by William J. Stuntz has come in for me to read.

No comments: