Monday, November 14, 2011

Daily Thoughts 11/14/2011

Kinchaku to kusazōshi Print shows a coin purse and two books, one with a portrait of a man on the cover.  Date Created/Published: 1824. 

Daily Thoughts 11/14/2011

This morning I checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the library.  I also wrote my bimonthly report.  I am focusing on training my Microsoft Office skills and trying to work with the computer lab a little more.

All of the old discards and left over books from the book sale are packed up and ready for Better World Books.  I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I made reminder calls for the Biography Book Club and the Mount Vernon Writers Network.  I have been thinking about programming for next year.  I have the last two years worth of programming calendars in my desk.  I have a fairly good idea of which programs have been repeated year after year.  This is the second year we have had the Adult Summer Reading Program, we also have been doing poetry programs for the last couple of years, and we have been doing quite a few entrepreneurial programs as well with the help of the Mount Vernon Chamber of Commerce and the Women's Enterprise Development Center.

On the way home, I read some more of The Better Angels of Our Nature.  Steven Pinker is describing the process how torture, public corporal punishment, and the burning of heretics became unacceptable practices. He is describing how reason and valuing human life reduces violence.  He also touches on how reducing cruelty to animals reduces violence among people.  The book is thoroughly researched and includes lots of historical citations.




No comments: