Sunday, December 2, 2018

Daily Thoughts 12/02/2018

File:William McGregor Paxton, 1910 - The house maid.jpg
William McGregor Paxton, The House Maid, 1910

Daily Thoughts 12/02/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of The Organized Mind by Daniel J. Levitin.  I am reading about decision making in business organizations.

I also finished reading The Art of Reading An Illustrated History of Books in Paint by Jamie Camplin and Maria Manauro.  This is more than just illustrations of books.  It is also the story of books as art objects in paintings.  The book starts with the invention of the printing press by Gutenberg, then it progresses into how books became a symbol of knowledge, religion, and status. Then it describes how books spread to the middle class.

The first pictures tend to focus on Mary Magdalene holding a book, then they become more varied with pictures of Cicero and other humanist figures.  As the book progresses, there is the more modern image of families with novels and women with novels.

The illustrations are wonderful. They are of famous paintings by Van Gogh, Picasso, Raphael, Marc Chagall, and many other artists.  They cover from 15th century to the 20th century.  I found the book fascinating and gripping.  I plan on looking up many of the paintings and using them to put in my blog.

I watched two more episodes of Changing Body Composition Through Diet and Exercise on Kanopy.  I found the episode on food labeling to be interesting.

I also spent a little time looking at some reports I have to write.

I am listening to Judith S. Beck and Deborah Buck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution on Hoopla.  This is another book in the series.  I had read her earlier book, The Complete Beck Diet For Life.  I have been following her diet steadily and losing some weight.  The difference between this and other diets is that is based on cognitive behavioral therapy.

Web Bits


Grow With Google Is Coming to a Library Near You

Libraries Ready to Code

Grow With Google

President George Bush to be Buried at George H.W.  Bush Library



No comments: