Saturday, October 17, 2015

Daily Thoughts 10/17/2015




Education - Rik Wouters
Education, Rik Wouters, 1912

Daily Thoughts 10/17/2015


I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.



On the way to work, I read some more of  Part of Our Lives.  I learned that libraries as early as 1850 used art exhibits, conversations, and lectures.  They also focused on useful knowledge and popular material.  This was a recipe for staying open even back then.  I read a little bit about the first public library in the United States which opened in 1851, Boston Public Library.



I checked the gift books and the displays.  I also spent some time thinking about the Latino Americans 500 Years of History grant.  I am working on a bookmark and a brochure right now.



There is a Memoir Writing Workshop today from 3:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Trustees room.


I spent some time working on an order of new books.  I also spent some time discussing a schedule for next month.


I placed a hold on the book, Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie which is military science fiction.  I also placed a hold on A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin.

On the way home, I read some more of Part of Our Lives.  I learned that in 1876 Melville Dewey approached Publishers Weekly to create American Library Journal.  We still read Library Journal and Publishers Weekly.  The two are inseparable in my mind.  Libraries and publishing have a very strong connection.



Web Bits


Captain Marvel Author Shannon Hale Highlights the Problems With Gendered Library Programs
http://www.themarysue.com/oh-hale-no/

No comments: