Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Daily Thoughts 10/21/2015

Reading - Nicolae Vermont
Reading, Nicolae Vermont, 1919

Daily Thoughts 10/21/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I enjoyed reading Part of Our Lives A People's History of the American Public Library by Wayne A. Wiegand.  It is new book published by Oxford University Press.  The layout is excellent and readable.  There are notes, an index, and black and white pictures.

The book focuses on patron use of the library from the very beginnings to modern day.  You get a sense of how libraries were used and continue to be used.  The traditional purpose was for practical education.  Fiction was not added until later.  Libraries have always focused on displaying art, providing lectures, concerts, and book discussions.

It is not until the late 1970s that the idea of the library as community center begins to take hold.  Then meeting rooms, and public services are introduced.

I enjoyed reading the book and found it very informative.

I started reading A Knight of Seven Kingdoms by George R.R. Martin on the way to work.  It starts with a story of a poor hedge knight trying to enter a tournament.  The book Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie came in for me to read.  It is military science fiction.

I am rearranging the area around my desk to accomodate some computer furniture.

I checked the gift books and the displays today.

I ordered a few more dvds from the Latino Americans 500 Years of History grant.

I read a copy of the October Ingram Advance and the November Bookpage.  I am still reading the Novmber Ingram Advance.

There is a computer class for Wordpress tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tonight.

There is also a Mount Vernon Public Library Board of Trustees Meeting tonight at 6:30 p.m.. in the Trustees room.  I am attending.


Web Bits


Pew Report: Communities Need Libraries Even As Some Use Them Less

Slightly Fewer Americans Are Reading Print Books, New Survey Finds

Scarsdale Prepares for Major Library Renovation



 

No comments: