Saturday, September 23, 2017

Daily Thoughts 09/23/2017


Wow Comics 1.png
Wow Comics #1, C.C. Beck, December 1939

Daily Thoughts 09/23/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.


I set up a new account for Arts Westchester grants.  They are requesting applications for the Arts Alive 2018 application.

On the way to the Comic Con, I read some more of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and Great by Choice.

I went to the Mount Vernon Public Library Comic Con.  It was enjoyable.  Quite a few of the staff members were in costume.  I watched part of a presentation on light saber choreography.  I also watched people play League of Legends in the computer lab.  I got to see a bit of the movie Wonder Woman.  Wonder Woman was fighting Magneto.

I had two hot dogs and an ice tea in the vendors room.  I bought some comics from the dollar bins including Elfquest, Tales from the Crypt, Open Space, and Wally Wood's Thunder Agents.  I also picked up a few buttons to wear.

I registered as a visitor.  I am not officially at work.  I also picked up the program for the convention.  There is also a separate set of children's program for comics.  The Rotunda Gallery has several comics artists displaying their work. http://mountvernonpubliclibrary.org/mtv-comic-con-2017/

In the children's room, they were playing Magic The Gathering. They were also giving out coloring pages for the children of superheros as well as free comics bracelets.  I saw quite a few of the regular patrons.

The library was full of people.  There were also reporters.  The Interim Director is giving a tour to visitors today.

I also checked the displays which something I do automatically.

We have a new internal staff home page which was just put up today.

I finished reading The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey today.  Stephen R. Covey is an MBA.  This book is great as a motivational book for sales, marketing, or business.   It is motivational.  However, it takes it past reasonableness by including a "Family Mission Statement."  Business becomes centrally important to the point of drowning out civic participation, art, and charity.  There is a lack of balance in this book which manifests in making leadership more important than management and effectiveness more important efficiency.  The book does have some excellent advice on listening and communicating with other people.  I found the book imbalanced

Web Bits.


Project Welcome Libraries Planning for Resettlement and Integration of Refugees

Your Efforts Are Working to Help #saveIMLS

Tucson's Seed Library Fosters Food Sovereignty In A Desert

No comments: