Friday, January 11, 2008

Starting the Day (Poetry)

An Illustration by Edmund Dulac of the Rubayyat of Omar Khayyam. This was done in 1909.

Here is the verse that goes with it from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam translated by Edward Fitzgerald:

Look to the blowing Rose about us-- "Lo
Laughing," she says, "into the world I blow,
At once the silken tassel of my Purse
Tear, and and its Treasure on the Garden throw."




I've finished reading Apollo's Fire: Igniting America's Clean Energy Economy. The next thing for me to do is go back through it and take notes on a few different points so I can write the review. I usually like writing long hand notes for the review, not on the computer. Then I put it into the computer.

I put Rumi: The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing on reserve. I am more interested in the poetry than the religious writing. I like some religious writings for their poetic content. I'll read the Tao Te Ching for example in a secular sense because I enjoy the poetry. My favorite part of the old testament is The Song of Solomon for the same reason. I really enjoy the poetic quality of the writing. Very philosophical poetry is deeply interesting to me, De Rerum Naturae (The Nature of Things) by Lucretius is one of the books which I have read several times. Right now, I have the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam rendered into english verse by Edward Fitzgerald in front of me. It is appropriately illustrated by Edmund Dulac, one of my favorite illustrators.

I feel as if I am just waking up for the day. I'll write a few more lines as I think of other things.

I've spent quite a bit of time today ordering phone books from Verizon and Yellow Book. Verizon will charge for certain books outside of the county where I work so I have to be careful which books I order. Yellow Book charges if you order more than two different books, $2.50 per additional book past the first two titles. I have a selection list from the last time I ordered phone books. There is a law about how many phone books you can order for a specific location listed in the New York Code of Rules and Regulations. Some people still prefer to use the phone book to look up local numbers. They don't want to use the internet.

I also spent a lot of time requesting annual reports over the internet. I usually first contact the company from their website. If there is no email or standard computer request form for annual reports I'll end up calling them. Requesting annual reports by email is much easier to do than phoning the companies. You don't have to deal with call waiting. Most of the companies are in the New York area. I still have quite a few to contact. In a way it seems to be a waste. Every company has reports online now.

I read a bit more of the Fables graphic novel series. I am going to give some spoilers. Gepetto who made Pinocchio is the adversary. Pinocchio makes a very interesting character, Pinocchio is stuck permanently as a small boy. The art is very colorful. There are a lot of very bright colors used. They are bringing in different settings to the story now. There is the land of the Cloud Giants and the Arabian Nights. You also have some tales set during different historical periods. Hansel is a witchhunter. Bigby Wolf (The Big Bad Wolf) helps the allies in World War II. Fables has won quite a few Eisner awards.

4 comments:

Pam Hoffman said...

Are you ordering phone books for the library?

I figured they would get them without a lot of strings attached...

Looking up information online can be a bit of a crap-shoot sometimes tho I find myself there more and more (and i don't get the black newsprint on my hands!).

Pam Hoffman
http://seminarlist.blogspot.com

p.s. love the illustration!

Nezha said...

I love Omar Khayyam...irreverent and free...the best kind of poet.

Book Calendar said...

Yes, I am. This has changed because phone books require a lot of paper. It has become a cost to manufacture phone books. They used to hand out them out whatever you wanted for free. Now, Verizon Directoyr Store is charging as much as $50 per book for books not in your immediate vicinity like Manhattan yellow pages.

Pam Hoffman said...

I didn't know that..

Pam Hoffman
http://seminarlist.blogspot.com