Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Starting A New Book To Read

I am starting to read Apollo's Fire, Igniting America's Clean Energy Economy by Jay Inslee and Bracken Hendricks, foreword by Bill Clinton. This book is another platform for a new energy economy. So far it has been very similar to the agenda of the book Freedom From Oil, and has mentioned very similar technologies being sold on the stock market as clean technology. The book is a political platform for the http://www.apolloalliance.org/ a liberal slate of energy legislation. I have found some interesting things to critique as I read the book. There are of course huge holes in the policies being presented, but they are fascinating to me.

I also looked through a core collection book for graphic novels recently called Graphic Novels A Genre Guide to Comic Books, Manga, and More by Michael Pawuk with a foreword by Brian K. Vaughan (Genreflecting Advisory Series, Libraries Unlimited c2007). This is a collection guide for libraries to select comic books, manga, and graphic novels. It lists core selection titles which should be in libraries as well as award winners. There is an author, title, and subject in the back as well as a suggested list of websites to look at for selecting manga and graphic novels. The book is broken down into different sections of graphic novels-- superhero, action and adventure, crime and mystery, horror, romance, manga, science fiction, western, coming of age/slice of life, humor, biography, and history are covered. If you are looking for a selection list covering up to late 2006 and want to choose titles that have stood the test of time, this book is quite comprehensive. However, the reviews are not very deep.



For a nice introduction to the world of graphic novels, try the 101 Best Graphic Novels by Stephen Weiner. It gives short clear descriptions of a broad selection of graphic novels. The book is printed in 2006, so it is not that dated. It is also fairly inexpensive for a reference book, $9.95.


Both of these books are examples of core collection lists. They would help you build a collection from nothing. Essentially, they list what the author thinks are the central graphic novels in a collection. From these selection lists, you might pick out several of the older titles that are the most recommended and purchase them. There are core collection lists for all kinds of books, everything from business to womens studies.

After you had selected your core titles, then you might look to see what the community might like. This might involve visiting some of the other local libraries or bookstores near you and seeing what they are buying for their customers or patrons to read. This would give you an idea of what your community might like. This is often different from bestseller lists.

After you went through core collection lists, you might go to a specialty magazine like Previews which is the magazine which most comic book stores order from. http://previews.diamondcomics.com/public/ . It lists all the bestselling manga and graphic novels in the last month inside the magazine. This might give you an idea of where to find very popular titles. There are other specialty magazines and sites which focus on specific types of literature, Locus Magazine for science fiction and fantasy, Romantic Times for romance.

Then you might decide you needed some quality titles, maybe some comics literature. http://www.tcj.com/ The Comics Journal might have a few interesting titles or articles.

Every genre has its high end or eccentrically tasteful group of people. For Science Fiction, there is the New York Review of Science Fiction. I don't subscribe to them for the same reason I don't subscribe to The New York Review of Books, it is a bit oddly literary for my tastes. http://ebbs.english.vt.edu/olp/nyrsf/nyrsf.html

4 comments:

ibpurpledragon said...

Ahh, comic books. I wonder if I would love to read as much as I do without those comic books.

Book Calendar said...

I love to read,
I love to read,
I'll read almost anything
Old books
Old letters
Old receipts
Old magazines
Old postcards
Old comic books

I love to read,
I love to read,
I'll read almost anything
New maps,
New blogs,
New cards,
New web pages,

Paper the smell of it
Is most heavenly

I surround myself with reams
It is piled up to the ceiling

I have book cases
I have cabinets
I have drawers
Every nook and cranny filled
with ephemera and books.

A. Caleb Hartley - Business Consultant & Entrepreneur said...

Thanks for the blurb about Appolo's Fire & Freedom From Oil - I've reserved Appolo's Fire from the library and I'll be keeping an eye out for Freedom From Oil.

Have you read Natural Capitalism? I'm in the middle of that one right now (and by middle, I mean beginning - it's a tough read... keeps putting me to sleep).

Namaste,
A. Caleb
Green happenings in the happening green world!

Book Calendar said...

Yes, I have read Natural Capitalism. A lot of it if you read carefully is aimed at MBAs, venture capitalists and stock investors. I found it interesting mainly because I invest in clean stocks. It is very business oriented. It gave me some ideas.

You might want to look at the Rocky Mountain Institute http://www.rmi.org to get a feel for the author before you read more of the book.