Monday, December 1, 2008

World Aids Day December 1, 2008

Randall Tobias, U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator, gets publicly tested for HIV/AIDS in Ethiopia in an effort to reduce the stigma about getting tested.


World Aids Day December 1, 2008

Today is World AIDS Day, December 1, 2008. While my immediate family has not gotten AIDs. One of my fathers friends died of AIDS who was a very talented concert pianist and figure skater. He was in his 40s which is tragic. AIDS has cut many lives off at an early age.

It is epidemic all over the world. Don't be afraid to get tested for AIDS and please take the time to learn how to use a condom properly; it can save a life.

If you are in New York, there is a wonderful bookstore called Housing Works Used Book Cafe which is a social business where all the proceeds go to helping homeless people with AIDS. I don't just go there for charity. It is a plain excellent store. http://www.housingworks.org/social-enterprise/bookstore-cafe/

Today, I put up a display in the lobby with several different books on AIDS. I thought it would be a good time to remind people about this devastating problem. I added a few newspaper clippings on World Aids Day in addition to the books.

2 comments:

NathanKP said...

Its great that you put up a display at the library. I always like the displays at my local library because I like to see all the books that the librarians pick out on whatever topic the display is about.

Book Calendar said...

It takes time and patience to do these things right.