Sunday, September 30, 2018

Daily Thoughts 09/30/2018

File:Two white cats on a table with books.jpg
 Two white cats on a table with books, a painting by Gottfried Mind. Watercolor. 19th Century

Daily Thoughts 09/30/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of The War On Normal People this morning.  I read about the concept of social money or social credits and time banking.  Time banking is where you volunteer to help different people in exchange for other peoples help. There was also a section on how capitalism should be more centered on people.

I have been using flash cards I created from the Beck Diet Plan.  They are reminders that I need to stay focused on what I am eating to lose weight.

I watched Five Fables An Enchanting Animated Series Depicting Aesop's Classic Fables which are translations of five of Robert Henyson's interpretation of Aesop's fables by Seamus Heaney the Scottish poet narrated by Billy Connelly.  It is a mix of animation and commentary on the fables.  There is a scholarly quality to the commentary.

I finished reading The War On Normal People The Truth About America's Disappearing Jobs and Why Universal Basic Income Is Our Future by Andrew Yang at the laundromat.  There is a section on why healthcare needs to be separated from jobs.  This includes an idea of having universal Medicare.  The final section is on how education needs to change.  Andrew Yang mentions Khan Academy in the final section.  This is a book that touches on many contemporary problems that affect our economy including excessive video game use, the opioid crisis, automation and jobs, and how ordinary people will need to have a different future than what is happening now.

I checked the purchase alerts for holds.

Web Bits


The Past, Present, and Future of Libraries-- Conference Philadelphia, PA

Copyright Office Continues to Be An Integral Part of the Broader Library of Congress

No comments: