Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Daily Thoughts 07/20/2016


Daily Thoughts 07/20/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I printed up a few flyers.

On the way to work, I read some of The Perfect Bet How Science and Math Are Taking the Luck Out of Gambling by Adam Kucharski.  It is an interesting book.  Gambling is related to the mathematics of probability.  People wanted to find out the best way to win at dice so they used math to figure out the odds.  Right now, I am reading about how people tried to win at roulette by trying to understand the physics of the roulette table.

I spent a little time looking at policies for lending out library hotspots.

I also printed some samples of job descriptions for a Librarian I position.

I stayed for the Mount Vernon Public Library board meeting.  Part of our union contract was certified today which means the staff gets a little more money.   In addition, I was confirmed as a Librarian III at the meeting, a step up from Librarian II which was satisfying.  I left at 9:00 p.m..  Most of the discussions were administrative in nature.

On the way home, I learned a little bit about lottery syndicates and blackjack card counting from reading The Perfect Bet.  The book is not so much about the science, but the concepts behind probability, statistics, and methods of winning bets.

Web Bits


No comments: