Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Daily Thoughts 07/27/2016

Interior with Young Man Reading - Vilhelm Hammershoi
Interior With Young Man Reading, Vilhelm Hammershoi, 1898

Daily Thoughts 07/27/2016

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

Last night, I read the graphic novel The Imitation Game Alan Turing Decoded by Jim Ottaviani and Illustrated by Leland Purvis.  This is a biography of Alan Turing.  It describes his breaking of the nazi enigma code, early developments in computing and mathematics, and his tragic end.

I also read some more of The Planet Remade.  I am reading about climate systems and how heat and water are exchanged all over the world.

I spent a little time working on weeding this morning.

I also updated the CD Audiobooks list for Bookletters.

There is a Beginning Wordpress class tonight from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. tonight.

On the way home, I read Jacques Ferrandez The Stranger based on the Novel by Camus.  It is a graphic version of the novel.  I found the story to be quite nihilistic and dark.  There was a certain appeal to the senseless acts of the main character, Meursault who seems to be a kind of everyman in a rebellious sense.  I thought the translator Sandra Smith did a good job in bringing out the sense of hedonism, sexuality, crminality, and randomness in the novel.  The brutality of the law and society is as strong in this story as the crime.  The style of the story is intriguing but not what I am used to.  This graphic novel is meant for adults and has some strong content.

Web Bits


Low Literacy Rate Leads to Fanaticism, Experts Say

Rikers Island Gets Unofficial New York Public Library branch


No comments: