Saturday, October 7, 2017

Daily Thoughts 10/7/2017

Thomas Henry Huxley - John Collier
Thomas Henry Huxley, John Collier, 1885


Daily Thoughts 10/07/2017

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I was looking for things related to the Mount Vernon Local Author Fair which happened today.

I got in early to work this morning.  I wrote a sign in sheet for the authors and a sheet for the public.  We wrote a program for the author fair.

Authors started coming in at around 9:00 a.m. and we set them up in the community room.  There were far more authors than I expected initially.  All of them were local authors.  The community room kept on filling up until we had over 24 local authors from Mount Vernon, New York.  At 12:00 p.m, they stopped coming in and I made a short speech inviting the authors to Mount Vernon Public Library.  I also acknowledged Deborah Nelson who helped me out with the author fair and Mount Vernon Arts and Culture who helped sponsor the fair.

There was a panel at 12:30 p.m. in the Trustees room.  Ruth Hassell-Thompson, who was Mount Vernon's state senator stopped in.

Afterwards we served lunch to the authors.  Then we gave each author a chance to read from their works.  It was quite successful.

It was our first Mount Vernon Local Author Fair.  I think it worked well this time and will improve the next time we do it.

Web Bits

History of the Library
https://blog.oup.com/2017/10/history-of-the-library/

Library Social Worker Helps Homeless Seeking a Quiet Refuge
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/library-social-worker-helps-homeless-seeking-quiet-refuge/



No comments: