Monday, February 5, 2018

Daily Thoughts 02/05/2018

Politicians - Vladimir Makovsky
Politicians, Vladimir Makovsky, 1884


Daily Thoughts 02/05/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of The Victory Lab.  I am reading about the first Obama presidential campaign which was data driven.  They did some surprising things like put ads in pennysavers and on public transportation.

I stayed home today.  I am getting over the flu right now.

I finished reading The Victory Lab The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns by Sasha Issenberg.  In the last part of the book, Sasha Issenberg describes the Obama campaign which was driven by lots of statistics and computer algorithms.  Everything was tested, the mail, the phone banks, air time, social media, and any way to get more to vote for Obama was used.  The goal was to get your people to come out and discourage the other side from voting.  There was lots of discussion of how to do outreach to young people and what would motivate people to vote.  This included negative messages, peer pressure, emotional appeals, as well as appeals to rationality.  This helped me understand how politics works on a much deeper level.

I read some more of Campaign Boot Camp 2.0. on Hoopla. There is a "public service fitness test" which helps clarify your values.  It is very hard to be a politician without clearly defined stances and values.

I checked the Purchase Alerts today for items that we do not own that are on hold.

Web Bits

Libraries Matter!

New York State Library Color Our Collections 2018

Libraries Find New Ways to Fluorish In the Digital Age

No comments: