Thursday, March 12, 2015

Daily Thoughts 03/12/2015

Carl Holsoe, Reading In An Interior, Circa 1900

Daily Thoughts 03/12/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.  On the way to work, I read some more of Messages The Communication Skills Book.  I am reading about paralanguage and metamessages.  Paralanguage is things like tone, pitch, rhythm, articulation, volume, tempo, and resonance.  It is about how words sound.  This ties into metamessages or messages where how the language sounds changes the meaning of words.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  I spent a little time arranging for a poetry slam in April.  I will apply for a Poets and Writers grant again in July or August.  It did not work out this time.

I learned that Kenneth C. Davis has a new book.  We had him previously do an author event at the library which was very successful.  There is a Starred Review in Publishers Weekly for the Hidden History of America At War by Kenneth C. Davis.  Kenneth C. Davis is from Mount Vernon, New York.

I spent some time talking to a colleague about databases and programming.

I also read through a copy of the New York Times Book Review.  I put the book, To Explain the World The Discovery of Modern Science by Steven Weinberg on hold.

I spent some time checking the oversize books.


Web Bits

Speak Up for New York State Library Aide
http://cqrcengage.com/alany/app/write-a-letter?0&engagementId=81910

25 Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
http://flavorwire.com/?p=280318


No Libraries for You

11 Ancient Board Games

No comments: