Friday, March 20, 2015

Daily Thoughts 03/20/2015


Reading the Newspaper War News, Nikolay Bogdanov-Belsky, 1905

Daily Thoughts 03/20/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

On the way to work, I read some of I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.  I am finding Maya Angelou's prose writing to be even better than her poetry.  It is captivating.

I checked the book, The Mechanical out after reading this review from NPR.  The Mechanical Will Make Your Clockwork Pulse Pound.
http://www.npr.org/2015/03/18/392627380/the-mechanical-will-make-your-clockwork-pulse-pound

I checked the gifts and the displays this morning.  I also rearranged the computer classes a little bit.  We are going to be doing a Fundamentals of Computers and a Beginning Microsoft Word Class on Monday instead of an Online Job Search class.  More people are interested in learning the basics of computers.

I also looked through the DC Entertainment Graphic Novels Essentials and Chronology 2015 which was sent to me as a paper copy.  It is free.
http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-novels/dc-entertainment-graphic-novel-essentials-and-chronology-2015

I spent some time preparing for a program tomorrow.  I also sent the outline for a flyer to our graphic designer.

I talked with someone about career services.

I also spent a little time breaking up the list of items that have not gone out in the last five years and sending the pieces to different libraries.

There were a lot of small things that I needed to do today.

I read some more of I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.  I am planning on choosing one of Maya Angelou's books for the book club in April.  April is National Poetry Month.  The prose is beautiful, at times harsh, and a bit unforgiving.

Web Bits


How Robots and Algorithms are Taking Over by Sue Halpern-- A review of the Nicholas Carr book, The Glass Cage.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2015/apr/02/how-robots-algorithms-are-taking-over/

ALA, APA Release Joint Statement Regarding Ruling in Support of Kentucky Public Libraries
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2015/03/ala-pla-release-joint-statement-regarding-ruling-support-kentucky-public

May 2, 2015 is Independent Bookstore Day


No comments: