Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Daily Thoughts 03/24/2015

Rembrandt, Old Man Reading a Book, 1628

Daily Thoughts 03/24/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.


On the way to work, I read some more of Information Doesn't Want to Be Free. Cory Doctorow describes how it is necessary to have fame or notoriety before you can make an adequate living in the creative professions.  The internet is often a key to this.


I also read some more of The Mechanical.  I like the description of how the character, Jax, who is a mechanical becomes unbound from his controller.  Also, the war between the French and the Dutch in the new world is interesting.  It presents an alternate history to our own.


I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  I also had some flyers printed.  I am talking to someone about having digital photography classes at the library.


The crochet class is today from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.  I pulled a few books on crochet for the class to look at.  The class has been going well.


I also read a copy of Booklist this morning and selected a few more books for the collection.


There are two computer classes tonight, A Fundamentals of Computers Class from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. and a Beginning Microsoft Word class from 6:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.

On the way home, I read some more of The Mechanical.  I rather like that there is a theological argument about whether an intelligent machine has a soul in this story.  It makes the story interesting.

I also read a bit more of Information Doesn't Want to Be Free on the way home.  Cory Doctorow argues that the internet is a conversation more than it is about content.  People are talking about the content.

I watched some of the BBC series Planet Earth which is a 5 DVD set about visiting some of the most remote places on earth to look at animals.  There is some unique footage in the series including video of a snow leopard and her cub.  The series is quite beautiful to watch and the last dvd in the series is about the future of the most remote places on earth and the animals that live there.  If you like animal videos this series is excellent.



Web Bits


Special Report on New York City's Libraries
Maintenance Issues


Joanne Harris Condemns Clean Reader App for Replacing Swear Words in Novels
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11492003/Joanne-Harris-condemns-Clean-Reader-app-for-replacing-swear-words-in-novels.html



No comments: