Monday, June 1, 2015

Daily Thoughts 06/01/2015


Still Life (with Johnson's Folio Dictionary) Unknown, 19th Century

Daily Thoughts 06/01/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.  I also placed my weekly order for new books.

On the way to work I read some more of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  The book has a spooky quality to it.  Part of this comes from the idea that Henrietta Lack's cancerous cells are surviving past her death.  There are also little reminders about immortality.  For example, there is a film about the HeLa short for Henrietta Lacks cells called The Way of All Flesh.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  I also spent some time working on flyers and programming.  There is a Special Issue of the New York Times Book Review on Summer Reading.

The month of June is Gay and Lesbian Pride Month.

I spent time talking to a representative from Davidson Titles Inc. which is a library specialty distributor.

I spent some time discussing a list of items we own that have not circulated in the last five years with colleagues.

Some of the books which I brought back from Book Expo America are being added to the collection right now.  I have more books to bring back tomorrow.

I read some more of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks on the way home.  At points, it is eye opening.  There are a variety of different medical experiments being described both ethical and unethical.  Her cells are used for research in cancer treatment and also injected into prisoners and hospital patients to see how cancer grows on people.

The Mount Vernon Public Library Trustee Election and Budget Vote is Tomorrow for Mount Vernon Public Library.
http://mountvernon.dailyvoice.com/neighbors/mount-vernon-library-budget-slated-ballot-upcoming-election

Web Bits

Book Expo America Books That Buzzed
http://reviews.libraryjournal.com/2015/06/prepub/2015-bookexpo-america-books-that-buzzed/

No comments: