Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Daily Thoughts 06/17/2015

Book and Guitar - Juan Gris
Book and Guitar, Juan Gris, 1925

Daily Thoughts 06/17/2015

I read some more of Data and Goliath on the way to work.  There is a certain paranoia to this book.  It reminds me of the book Microserfs by Douglas Coupland.  Bruce Schneier describes us as workers who are aligned with different operating systems whose information is being sold to large companies like Google, Apple, and Blackberry.  There is a certain irony in the writing.  I can see the kingdom of Android, the principality of Windows, and the Duchy of Linux.

I am also reading Mindfulness for Beginners by Jon Kabat-Zinn.  I am mainly interested in the meditative aspects of the book.  Reading it has a very calming effect so far.

I checked Facebook and Twitter for the library.

I also contacted Better World Books to have some boxes and labels sent to us for shipping.  I am working on getting out some new flyers for events.

We are going to have some sessions of yoga for adults, a visit by Lowes Moore to discuss his book Lowes Moore Chronicles from the Boys and Girls Club to the NBA on July 1st, 2015 at 6:30 p.m., in the community room of the Mount Vernon Public Library.  Tomorrow, we are having Kenneth C. Davis discuss his book, The Hidden History of America At War from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. which is June 18.  On Friday, June 19, Jason Hochman will playing guitar as part of the opening for the Adult Summer Reading Program, Escape the Ordinary.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I placed a hold on the book, the Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins which is described as a mix of fantasy and horror.


Web Bits

How Comics Made Me Love Teaching
http://www.futureeducators.org/goteach/2014/01/15/how-comics-made-me-love-teaching/

What Happens to Library Employees When We Fall Prey to the Competition Fallacy?
http://librarianbyday.net/2015/06/17/what-happens-to-library-employees-when-we-fall-prey-to-the-competition-fallacy/

No comments: