Saturday, June 6, 2015

Daily Thoughts 06/06/2015

Portrait of Rodo Pissarro Reading - Camille Pissarro
Portrait of Rodo Pissarro Reading, Camille Pissarro, c1899-1900

Daily Thoughts 06/06/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

The Library Clerk's exam was this morning.  Both of the people who work under me that are clerks have to retake the exam.  I will know at the end of the month who got in and is on ranked on the list for civil service.

I started reading Armada by Ernest Cline.  I am reading an Advanced Reading Copy.  The book is due out in July.  I got a signed copy at Day of Dialog.  The book is very much a homage to classic video games and science fiction fandom.  You can read elements of Galaga, Space Invaders, Defender, and Asteroids in the game.  It is similar to The Last Starfighter and Enders Game in that it uses video games to train people in how fight off an alien armada.  I am enjoying the geekiness of the book.  It is very full of nostalgia.

I finished reading Armada tonight.  The ending has a nice twist to it.  All through the book, there are numerous references to science fiction and popular science.  Also people and ideas from popular culture pop up as well like Carl Sagan, Moon Base Alpha, Dr. Strangelove, Snake Plisken, and Countdown clocks. 

Web Bits

Library as Infrastructure

Data Reinvents Libraries for the 21st Century

No comments: