Friday, June 26, 2015

Daily Thoughts 06/26/2015

Still Life. Scales. - Pyotr Konchalovsky
Still Life Scales, Pyotr Konchalovsky, 1916

Daily Thoughts 06/26/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

On the way to work, I read some more of The Powerhouse.  I also read some of the book which goes with the National Geographic DVD on Fundamentals of Photography.  I am also reading some of The Mindful Way Through Stress The Proven 8 Week Path to Health, Happiness, and Well Being by Shamash Alidina.  I did a meditation on eating an apple.  It is the first time I have done something meditative with food.

This morning, I checked the displays and the gift books.  Better World Books has sent 75 boxes to us to pack books up with for shipment.

I also talked with Peter Sherrill about flyers and other publicity for the event for Lowes Moore Chronicle: Life on the Narrow Road From the Boys and Girls Club to the NBA which is happening on July 1, 2015 at 6:30 p.m.

I have a copy of the Ingram Advance and the Baker and Taylor Forecast to read.

There is staff training today for Hoopla in the morning.  I am covering the public computers so one of the staff in my department can get training.

I placed the science fiction novel Zero World by Jason M. Hough on hold.  I also placed the book Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor on hold which is also science fiction.  There is a new Ayn Rand novel Ideal which is being published.  It was turned into a play by Ayn Rand.  I rather liked The Romantic Manifesto by Ayn Rand.  I found the rest of her books thoroughly disagreeable.

My colleague is doing some preparation for Adult Summer Reading.

On the way home, I finished reading The Powerhouse Inside the Invention of a Battery to Save the World by Steve Levine.  I am reading about the rush to create a battery which will run a car for 200 miles on a single charge.   I am also reading about the rivalry between the Chevy Volt and the Tesla Model S.  I found the book to be mildly interesting.  The sole focus was on electric cars.  There are other things which are happening with batteries that are just as interesting; home energy storage for alternative energy, electric jet engines, powerplant battery stacks for wind and solar energy, and electric trains.  I felt the book was incomplete.

Web Bits



Hoopla, DC Comics Ink Library Digital Pact

Neil Gaiman How Stories Last

No comments: