Friday, April 8, 2016

Daily Thoughts 04/08/2016

Index
The Owl For Sale Here, by Elisha Bird Brown, 1896

Daily Thoughts 04/08/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I checked the gift books and the displays this morning.

On the way to work, I read some more of Originals.  I am reading about how it is often easier to ally with people who have different viewpoints than your own because similar, but slightly different viewpoints can lead to conflicts over doctrine and beliefs.

I spent time going over time sheets and discussing sick time with staff.  I am also arranging my holiday schedule for the year.

I have been talking with people about statistics.

I checked the New York Times Bestseller List and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller List.

I spent a little time looking at Grants Station with a person who reports to me.  He turned in a short list of places to get grants today.

I read a graphic novel by Bryan Talbot who is both the author and illustrator of Grandville.  It is the fourth novel in the series.  Inspector Lebrock is an anthropomorphic badger.  In this story, humans are called doughfaces.  He faces a devious religious figure represented as a unicorn who is developing a fascistic religion.  I rather like the illustration in this series.  I read it on Hoopla Digital.

The series has been nominated for both a Hugo Award for science fiction and an Eisner Award for comics.  I am starting on the third book in the series Bete Noir.  The artwork is interesting because it mixes steampunk, automatons, art nouveau, and anthropomorphic animals.

There are also elements of Sherlock Holmes and Jules Verne in the storytelling.

Web Bits


My Love Hate Relationship with 3D Printers In LIbraries

Libraries and Learning -- Pew Report
http://www.pewinternet.org/2016/04/07/libraries-and-learning/

Inflatable Space

Space X Launches Futurists Pop-up Room, Lands Rocket at Sea
https://www.yahoo.com/news/spacex-back-delivery-business-futuristic-pop-room-163254479.html?nhp=1
The first steps to a completely reuseable rocket.  I am looking forward to seeing an inflatable space station and a pop up moon dome in the near future.


No comments: