Friday, April 15, 2016

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2016


A scholar sits in his study reading by a globe. Line engraving by G.L. Heitel(?) after Longhi, 1634.
Iconographic Collections

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Grit on the way to work.  I am reading about how have a strong interest in what you are doing often leads to greater success careerwise.

We had a meeting on the new timecard system this morning.

I spent some time working on orders for new books today in Brodart.

The new Bookpage came in today.

I spent a little time working on programming.

I am going to the Melville House Publishing preview for librarians on May 20, 2016 at 2:00 p.m..  I enjoyed the last one I went to.

I have a copy of the May Ingram Advance to read.  I also have the May Bookpage to look at tomorrow.

On the way home, I read some more of Grit.  It is turning out to be an incredibly interesting book.  I read about two things focused on practice, where everything becomes easy and smooth in your actions and deliberate practice where you continuously work on small stretch goals everytime you practice something so you improve steadily over time.  This book is a systematic, focused approach to succeeding based on tested methods.  You could compare deliberate practice to continuous improvement or even Kaizen.

Web Bits

Government Seeks Answers Over Carnegie Library Closure-- United Kingdom
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-36017224

Cat-Owning, Knit-Living, 'Hopelessly Stereotypical', is a 'Jeopardy' Badass
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/margaret-miles-jeopardy-badass_us_5710f65be4b0060ccda2fb83

Wife, Husband Arraigned on Charges Stemming From Late Library Book

All Newborns to Receive Library Cards in St. Louis County

No comments: