Monday, April 18, 2016

Daily Thoughts 04/18/2016

The Student - Gwen John
The Student, Gwen John, 1903

Daily Thoughts 04/18/2016

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.

On the way to work I read some more of Grit.  I am reading about how children taking part in extracurricular activities like sports and music helps them become more focused and successful.

I also read some more of  The Art of Social Media.  I am reading about how to keep your posts focused and respond to comments.

I checked the gift books and the displays today.

I am almost done organizing my desk today.  I can see and find most of my paperwork.

I worked on scheduling today for next month. I also confirmed my vacation time today.

 Right now, I am in the computer lab.  I am charging some tablets to use for tomorrow, Tuesday, for the an open house from the Mount Vernon Public Library Foundation from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m..

I ordered some books that are coming out in October.

I finished reading Grit The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth.  This book describes how to be very focused, set goals, create a purpose and succeed through practice and diligent follow through.  If you want to understand the process of deliberate practice, create a culture of determination and focus, or build long term goals this is an excellent book.

I also finished reading The Art of Social Media Power Tips for Power Users by Guy Kawasaki and Peg Fitzpatrick.  This is a long list of tips on how to use social media effectively.  It would be especially useful for beginning and intermediate users of social media.

Web Bits

Blockbuster Book Deal: Follett Buys Baker and Taylor
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-follett-baker-deal-0419-biz-20160418-story.html

Breaking borders:  how to make the best bookshop in the world

To Float or Not to Float: Collection Management

Its Time to Visit the Library  Again

A Library Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Carnegie Library Protesters Take to the Streets, Plan Next Steps-- United Kingdom


No comments: