Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Daily Thoughts 12/15/2015

File:Mark Twain reading c1900s.jpeg
Mark Twain Reading, The Guardian, Unattributed, 1900

Daily Thoughts 12/15/2015

I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read a little more of  Twain & Stanley Enter Paradise on the way to work.  I am reading about when Stanley was sent to the St. Asaph Union Workhouse when he was seven which was an orphanage and school.

I did a little work on next weeks order for the library.

I am looking at the book, We, Robots Staying Human In The Age of Big Data by Curtis White.

I spent some time working on the Strategic Report for the library.  I am working on statistics and library history.

I checked the gifts and the displays this morning.

I also spent some time working on next weeks order.  The January/February Ingram Advance came in for me to read.  I also have another copy of Publishers Weekly to read today.

I got a quote for how much an assessment would cost to do from the Northeast Document Conservation Center.  It is interesting learning about these processes.

There was a Fundamentals of Computers Class and a Beginning Microsoft Word class tonight in the computer lab.  It is getting closer to the holidays so less people are coming.

On the way home, I read some more of Twain and Stanley Enter Paradise.  There is a scene in the novel where Morton Hope Stanley is reading Huckleberry Finn while he is on an expedition in the Congo.   This reveals a theme in this book about the relationship between slavery and colonialism.  Part of the reason Stanley gives for being in Africa in his thinking is to end the Arabic slave trade.  This is a very dark and controversial subject.  I can see why the book was not released until after Oscar Hijuelos died.

Web Bits

3rd Annual Library Publishing Directory
This is university libraries.

Books vs. E-books: The Science Behind the Best Way to Read



No comments: