Friday, August 4, 2017

Daily Thoughts 08/04/2017

Little boy writing a letter - Norman Rockwell
Little Boy Writing A Letter, Norman Rockwell, 1920

Daily Thoughts 08/04/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I finished reading Simply Clean by Becky Rapinchuk.  The final parts are about how to make safe cleaning products and work on specific areas in houses.  I read a little bit more of No One Is Coming to Save Us today.  The characters have struggled out of poverty to reach the middle class.

I checked the displays and the displays and the gift books today.

I also checked some of the oversize books.

There were two people who I proctored this morning.  They were taking Accuplacer exams.

I spent a little time in the lab.

I discussed the Libraries Ready to Code grant this morning as well as my final assignment for the Planning and Management of Library Buildings.

We met with Peter Sherrill today to discuss a Local Author Fair at the Mount Vernon Public Library planned for October 7, 2017.

I am waiting to hear on several grants.

I checked out the book, The Joy of Less A Minimalist Guide to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify by Francine Jay and The New Librarianship Field Guide by R. David Lankes.

Davidson Titles was acquired by The Rainbow Book Company  http://www.rainbowbookcompany.com/

I am seeing a jump in the total number of holds from other libraries.

On the way home, I read some more of No One Is Coming to Save Us.  I already read some of Trend Trading for Dummies by A. Wiley Brand.  A. Wiley Brand describes how he has several different screens he looks at while he is trading for different charts.  He also describes how his computers are set up with fast upload and download, universal power supplies in case of blackouts, and broadband connections.  He has his cell phone to call his broker in case the software stops working.  This shows how risky it is to trade over computers.

Web Bits

Lord Jamar is Challenging Hip Hop to Show Off Stacks Instead of Racks http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2017/08/lord-jamar-book-phone-challenge/

Toys At Chicago Public Library Teach Building Blocks of Code Without a Computer

No comments: