Monday, August 21, 2017

Daily Thoughts 08/21/2017

Public librarian.jpg
Advertisement for "librarians" for the commercial H. Parmelee Library Co., December 1900

Daily Thoughts 08/21/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also spent some time looking at the New York Times Bestseller lists.

I read some more of The Patron Driven Library on the way to work.  I am reading about how librarianship is changing and what it means to work in the new environment in libraries.  Many of these changes are driven by a combination of a change of focus from collections to services and a constant stream of new technologies.  Libraries are introducing new features like media labs, expanded study areas, more wireless access, and special collections which combine digitized images and traditional media.

I checked the displays and the gift books.

Right now, I am in the computer lab.

I did a little work on orders.

I read a copy of the New York Times Book Review today.  I also placed orders for mystery books, new nonfiction, and fiction.  I should have an order of Spanish titles available tomorrow.

I also contacted the two people who I am working on the grant with about hours.  I have to get this together very soon.

In addition, we are working on a save the date postcard for the October 7, 2017 planned Mount Vernon Author Day.  We have a list of about 50 local authors.

I finished reading The Patron Driven Library A Practical Guide for Managing Collections and Services in the Digital Age by Dee Ann Allison.  The last part of the book describes new types of jobs for librarians.  It also describes new models for library buildings.  Many of these models are very digitally oriented with many fewer staff and much more flexible floor plans.

We activated our subscription to the Historical New York Times today.
http://mountvernonpubliclibrary.org/waldo-historical-ny-times/

Web Bits


The 'New York Times' Books Desk Will Make You Read Again


No comments: