Friday, November 9, 2018

Daily Thoughts 11/09/2018



Palmer Cox (Canadian, Granby, Quebec 1840–1924 Granby, Quebec)

Daily Thoughts 11/09/2018

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I got my certificate in the mail today for my CPLA Certified Public Library Administrator classes.  It is good for the next 5 years.

I finished reading Who We Are and How We Got Here Ancient DNA and the New Science of the Human Past by David Reich.  There was a bit on how when people are conquered, the men who conquer spread their DNA into the conquered population.  This creates a form of inequality.  There were some descriptions of how there is difference between a persons ancestry and a persons race.  There are emerging genetic identities which are different than what happened before.  How people will be viewed in the future will be different.

This is an important book.  It challenges ideas that people were part of a continuous past.  It shows that different genetic groups formed and faded away, people were constantly migrating all over the world, and that there are many surprises about humanities genetic past.

I also read some more of Stop Workplace Drama by Marlene Chism.  I read about how to keep your energy up and make it easier for things to change.

Last night, I also finished reading Artificial Condition by Martha Wells.  It is the story of how a Security Robot broke free and went rogue.  It has an unexpected twist to it which makes the story thoughtful.  I like that the security robot, naming itself murderbot does not act like a person and has nonhuman motivations.  This is the second book in the Murdot series.  There are four books in the series so far.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I also checked the New York Times Bestseller list and the Publishers Weekly Bestseller list.

I spent some time discussing a colleagues visit to the Forward Thinkers meeting with Jamaal Bailey in the professional building.  She represented the library as part of the meeting at 6:00 p.m..  She brought a variety of giveaways including pens, bookmarks, fliers, and other swag.

There is a Lets Build Robots Codrones Workshop with Tweens in the computer lab  from 3:00 p.m. to 5;00 p.m..  The tweens are coding drones so that they can fly.

Another one of my colleagues is at the New York Library Association conference today.

I checked out the book, Catching the Big Fish Meditation, Consciousness and Creativity by David Lynch.

Web Bits



Step Inside the World's 8 Most Futuristic Libraries

K-12's Digital Transformation Is Giving Libraries A Modern Makeover

What Happens When You "Accidentally" Destroy A Library Book?
https://lithub.com/what-happens-when-you-accidentally-destroy-a-library-book/

No comments: