Sunday, November 11, 2018

Daily Thoughts 11/11/2018

File:Charles Dickens (1812-1870).jpg
Charles Dickens 1812-1870, picture from Journeys Through Bookland by Charles Herbert Sylvester, 1922

Daily Thoughts 11/11/2018

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

I also read some of The Places That Scare You A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times by Pema Chodron.  This is a book on buddhism.  I usually don't discuss certain topics on this blog.  I used to order the non western religion books while I was at Brooklyn Public Library in the History Biography and Religion section of the library.

I also read some of Healing the Angry Brain How Understanding the Way Your Brain Works Can Help You Control Anger & Aggression by Ronald Potter-Efron.  I am reading about how the brain works.  Ronald Potter-Efron describes the a model of the cycle of how emotions process through the brain.  He describes how it is possible to become much more aware of how you are reacting emotionally.

Last night, I skimmed through a copy of Marketing the 21st Century Library, The Time Is Now by Debra Lucas-Alfieri, Elsevier Science 2015.  I downloaded it on my smart phone through Total Boox which is a service available through the Westchester Library System.  It only works on devices like smart phones and tablets, not desktops.

I watched a short animated DVD of Robin Hood based on the Howard Pyle book published by Dreamscape Video.  I am finding much of their animation to be very interesting.  Dreamscape Video also published a short DVD called Ada's Ideas: the story of Ada Lovelace, the worlds first computer programmer which also was very enjoyable to watch.

I watched a presentation on creating a Comic Con for libraries.  This is the PDF that goes with it.
https://on24static.akamaized.net/event/18/62/78/0/rt/1/documents/resourceList1541342693226/librarycon2018howtopanel1541531717062.pdf

I checked the Purchase Alerts for items on hold.

I also finished my monthly report covering October.

Web Bits

Library Stories-- Susan Orlena-- Guest Editor
https://medium.com/s/library-stories


Trove of War Posters Discovered at New Hampshire Library

Omaha Public Library: Cook Up Something New With The Help of the Library

10 AM Tuesday: Superhero Storytime @ Thomas Ford Library
                                                                                    

No comments: