Friday, October 24, 2008

Good Morning

David Tenniers (1645-1650) Stilleben. I rather like the globe in the background.


Good Morning

This morning my alarm clock did not go off so I ended up rushing to work and barely making it on time. It has been a rush, rush morning. Mostly, I have been taking care of the small details. Filling out forms for supplies, sick leave slips, and other miscellaneous things like redoing the central floor book display for the subject, the election.

I also spent a little bit more time looking for phone numbers for agencies that help the disadvantaged. Many of them are not listed in the yellow pages. They often require a certain level of confidentiality, so it is not always easy finding things like residential drug treatment facilities, homeless shelters, shelters for homeless families, and housing assistance agencies.

Anyways, two new books came in for me to read this morning, Thomas L. Friedman Hot, Flat, and Crowded, Why We Need A Green Revolution and How It Can Renew America, and Eric Flint and Dave Freer, Slow Train To Arcturus. I rather like Dave Freer's writing; it is humorous science fiction and fantasy. His official site is http://www.doctormonkey.com/ . I rather liked his science fiction novel, Rats, Bats, and Vats.


As always, I spent a bit more time ordering career and industrial books. I was looking at Worldcat using my New York Public Library Card. I have library cards for Westchester, Queens, and New York Public Library. I use all of them regularly.

This evening I read some more of Slow Train to Arcturus on the train home. It has a nice surprise ending which makes the book different than what I expected. I won't give it away.
I just caught up with reading a bit of Twitter. DCagle on Twitter had a nice gallery of politcal cartoons for the week. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27362174/displaymode/1107/s/2/ Sometimes it is good to take a break for a laugh now and then.

No comments: