Saturday, October 4, 2008

Morning Thoughts

Gymnastics For Youth


Morning Thoughts

Now that I have gotten past the first few chapters, it has become much easier to read The Predator State. It is starting to give a coherent argument on why supply side economics do not work. It argues that a regime based purely on savings with little or no tax on capital gains creates an environment of unequal income distribution focused on the idea that it is a natural right to hold onto capital. At the same time it does not give any natural rights to the producers of capital, labor. The ideas are quite provocative. I personally believe that there should be more incentive for investment than saving.

I was looking at the Fantagraphics site and noticed that they had just opened their own bookstore. It looks very cool. I wish that I could go to it in Seattle. Maybe when I visit my family there I will get to see it.

Fantagraphics Bookstore & Gallery1201 South Vale Street (at Airport Way S.)Seattle, WA 98108, Mon. - Sat 11:30 - 8Sun 11:30 - 5206-658-0110

This is a link to a story about it on the web.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=126

I did a little bit more reading in Writing Begins With the Breath and a few more writing exercises. This poem is about a swing in the park when I was young that swung out over a
lake filled with green algae.

Mountain Lake Park


Swing over green water
Pump your legs back and forth
Feel the cool breeze

I took a short break to drive up to my local library. Because I am just getting back on my feet, I didn't want to stress myself too much.

I picked up a copy of the book donation form. I think that it is very well designed. We need a new one for our library. We also need a new poster for requesting donations. I am going to give it to the new director. I think I might also pick up some other samples of flyers to bring back as well.

Right now, I am sitting at the computers in the library typing away. I haven't been here for several weeks. It is very quiet here today which is almost a relief.

No comments: