Thursday, May 8, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/08/2014

Looking warm - the appearance of an urban widow of the Kansei era (1789-1801). No. 4 in the ukiyo-e print series Thirty-Two Aspects of Customs and Manners., Tsukioka Yoshitoshi, 1888

Daily Thoughts 05/08/2014

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I was looking through the Book Expo America exhibits and I saw that Grumpy Cat will be in the Chronicle Books booth which is #2827.

On the way to work, I read some more of On The Edge.  Alison Levine finished the Grand Slam for Adventure travel.  She climbed the worlds seven highest mountains and skied to the north and south poles.

I checked the displays and the gift books.  I also spent some time reading through the Baker and Taylor catalogs for different subjects.

Tomorrow is the Westchester Library Association conference.  I am holding off on going this time.

I am very glad the budget passed with 1997 yes votes.  It is my main concern.

I finished reading On The Edge The Art of High Impact Leadership by Alison Levine.  It ends describing her successful ascent of Mount Everest.  There is also a bit on how she becomes a motivational speaker by persevering and not giving up.

I started reading 12 Years a Slave by Solomon Northup. It is preparation for a Book to Film program where we show a film and discuss the book afterward.  I have another Book to Film programs as well, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.  In addition I have to read A Walk In the Woods Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson for a book club.

News 12 Video
Mount Vernon Residents Approve Plan to Create Library Budget Paid for by the Taxpayers
http://westchester.news12.com/news/mount-vernon-residents-approve-plan-to-create-library-budget-paid-for-by-the-taxpayers-1.7952255   

Web Bits

Digital Divide, lack of certified librarians, a national crisis
http://www.eschoolnews.com/2014/05/08/digital-librarians-crisis-008/
There is a change happening in libraries where basic computer skills which separate haves from have nots like the ability to operate a cell phone, use a tablet, have a home computer with basic office applications will very fast become a national issue focused around libraries.


Market Powerhouse A Library Sale Is Just the Beginning Editorial

BEA 2014 Adult Galleys to Grab
There are a few things that look interesting like the DK Science Book,  Norton/Liveright, Kill My Mother graphic novel by Jules Feiffer, Sourcebooks, The American plate a history of the evolution of American food, Viking, The Republic of Imagination by Azar Nafisi

Why We Need to Absolutely Care More About Library Funding
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-okelly/post_7535_b_5288037.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000028

No comments: