Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/27/2014

Winslow Homer, Girl In the Hammock, 1873

Daily Thoughts 05/27/2014

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I got a haircut this morning.  I also cleaned out my carry bag and washed it. 

I also read some more of Essentialism. Greg McKeown is writing about how it is important to focus on only decisions that lead to the best results.  For example, he describes a hiring process where it is better to not hire anyone at all unless they are a near perfect fit for a company.

I have spent some time thinking about weeding and shifting, collection development, and electronic resources.

I started reading The Authority by Jeff Vandermeer which is a weird tale.  It reminds me a tiny bit of H.P. Lovecraft.  The story focuses around a place called Area X where strange things are happening and all people have vanished as if they were never there.  The story veers into the area where rationality breaks down and explanations melt into inexplicability bordering on madness.  The main character, Control, is part of the secretive organization that is investigating Area X.  The book has a spooky otherworldly quality to it.  I rather enjoyed the first book in the series, Annhilation.  It does help to have read the first book, but it is not necessary.


Web Bits



Inevitable Consequences Follow New Hierarchy of Power Among  Publishers.
This is a bit on Amazon and Barnes and Nobles relation to publishers.



Amazon Tightens Its Grip In Dispute with Hachette
http://www.authorsguild.org/advocacy/amazon-tightens-its-grip-in-dispute-with-hachette/

No comments: