Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/21/2014

Spring Rain Collection (Harusame shū), vol. 1: “Books from Kanazawa Library” (Kanazawa Bunko) and “Foreign Cat of Shōmyōji Temple” (Shōmyōji no kara neko), from the series History of Kamakura (Kamakura shi) Kubo Shunman (Japanese, 1757–1820)


Daily Thoughts 05/21/2014

On the way to work, I read some more of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.  Bill Bryson describes hiking from rest stop to rest stop where they meet different eccentric characters on their trip.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook this morning for the library. I also checked the displays. I spent some time shifting books in the oversize section.  I still have a lot more work to do there.

I talked to a colleague about the Adult Summer Reading Program.  We are working on doing a mystery panel with several authors.  Some of the authors are not able to come in late July so we are also planning on doing individual readings by local mystery writers from Westchester county.

I also spent some time reading review catalogs.  I read through the Forecast by Baker and Taylor.  We are also getting the Advance from Ingram which is another catalog of forthcoming books.  In addition, I read a copy of Library Journal and looked through the latest New York Times book review.

I requested a list of items which circulated six or more times during the last year to see what the most popular material is by circulation.

We also discussed the July and August adult computer classes.  The schedule is being put together now.

The Board of Trustees meeting is tonight for the library at 6:30 p.m..  The final figures should be announced at the meeting.  Also, the new trustees will be sworn in.

On the way home, I read some more of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.  Bill Bryson describes the flora, fauna, and geology of the Appalachian trail and includes anecdotes about the dangers of animals like bears to hikers.

Web Bits



The Metropolitan Museum of Art Releases 400,000 hi-res Images Into the Public domain
A nice summary.

No comments: