Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/20/2014



Vincent Van Gogh, Oleander, 1888

Daily Thoughts 05/20/2014

I spent some time checking the library Twitter and Facebook page.

On the way to work, I read some more of Thrive by Arianna Huffington.  Arianna Huffington is writing about mindfulness and meditation.  Another way to explain mindfulness is focused attention.  One of my first jobs was as a real estate appraisal assistant.  My boss used to watch me and tell me when I wasn't paying attention.  He could tell my state of mind instantly.  He would look at me and say your daydreaming, your not paying attention, where did your mind go, bring your mind back to what you are doing.  It was exactly what I needed at the time.

I also checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  There were a few things to neaten up.  I also started preparing for next weeks book order.

I spent some time working with the oversize books.  I have to do some shifting soon with the oversize collection.

I spent a few minutes looking through The Public Library A Photographic Essay by Robert Dawson.  It has a lot of interesting photographs.  There are even a few photographs of abandoned libraries.

I checked out two books, A Walk In the Woods by Bill Bryson and The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  I also checked out The Nonviolence Handbook A Guide For Practical Action by Michael N. Nagler.

I have a copy of Library Journal and the latest Baker and Taylor Forecast to read.  I also got a copy of Ingram Advance which is Ingram's catalog of forthcoming books.


I put Are Libraries Obsolete? An Argument for Relevance in the Digital Age by Mark Y. Herring on request through interlibrary loan.  This is the kind of information that is useful for creating arguments in favor of libraries.

On the way home, I read some of A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.  Bill Bryson is describing his hike along the Appalachian trail with his buddy Stephen Katz.  The story has a lot of dark humor to it.

Web Bits

Standing for Libraries at National Library Legislative Day

No comments: