Saturday, May 31, 2014

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2014

Elizabeth Adela Forbes, The Open Book, Unknown Date

Daily Thoughts 05/31/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning like I usually do.

I am all finished with Book Expo America.  It was worth going.  I am tying some loose ends which occur after the conference.  I visited Agate Publishing who are the publisher for the book Opportunity Knocking Lessons from Business Leaders by Lori Ann Larocco.  She is going to be reading and signing at the library on Saturday, June 21, 2014 from 2:00 p.m to 4:00 p.m.

There were a few silly things that I rather liked that I saw.  Gail Carriger has her first hardcover book coming out in March of 2015, Prudence: The Custard Protocol: Book One.  It is steampunk.  Also, I got a chance to look at Brian Kessinger's rather silly Victorian cartoon book, Walking Your Octopus A Guidebook to the Domesticated Cephalopod.

Unfortunately, I could not buy the Pete the Cat doll at the convention.  I really, really wanted it.  But, I will get it later.  Merrymakers has an excellent catalog of stuffed toys based on characters like Pete the Cat, Bad Kitty, Whistle for Willie, Olivia, Little Critter, Everywhere Bears, and other children's book characters. http://www.merrymakersinc.com/products_all.php

Right now, I am reading my signed copy of War and Gold by Kwasi Kwarteng.  This book starts with conquistadors and describes how debt has been traditionally used to finance wars.  It is the impetus for creating new forms of exchange like paper money.

I am looking at http://www.rifflebooks.com which is an attempt at a pinterest for books.  I saw them at Book Expo America.  They were in the startup area.

I read a little more of War and Gold.  I am reading about the gold standard in England.

Web Bits



BEA 2014: Big Books of the Show: Coming Right Up
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bea/article/62673-bea-2014-big-books-of-the-show-coming-right-up.html

BEA 2014: Big Children's Books at BEA
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bea/article/62676-bea-2014-big-children-s-books-at-bea.html

No comments: