Saturday, July 15, 2017

Daily Thoughts 07/15/2017

Felicyn Oldman i young girl.jpg
Felicyn, Old Man and Young Girl, 1855

Daily Thoughts 07/15/2017

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of The Wealth of Humans.  I am reading about how immigration is often the best way for people to learn about how to become wealth.  Ryan Avent describes how wealth is generated by social capital over time.

I checked the displays and the gift books.

I spent some more time working on the CDBG Community Development Block Grant.

I also spent some time discussing the literacy program as well as talking to Ben Anthony about doing additional immigration help.

I read a copy of Library Journal.

On the way home, I finished reading The Wealth of Humans Work, Power, and Status in the 21st Century by Ryan Avent.  Ryan Avent writes for the Economist.  This is a book of economic ideas focused on the near future.  A lot of it focuses on recent changes in technology.  There are also some descriptions of how cities concentrate wealth and social capital.  The author describes a difficult future with lots of upheaval and social challenges on both the left and right.  Ryan Avent does not try and provide solutions, but rather describes how we got to our current situation and how things may change.  I found the book to be thoughtful, with many ideas that I had not read about before.

I watched the Westchester Library System Central Study Committee which happened at the Mount Vernon Public Library. I was unable to attend, but it was worth seeing

Web Bits


Library Campaign Attacked With Illegal and Misleading Tactics
http://action.everylibrary.org/nixa

One of the Greatest Science Fiction Magazines Is Now Available Online For Free-- Galaxy Magazine Changed the Direction of Science Fiction
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/15970710/galaxy-science-fiction-magazine-online-free-reading-archive


Raspberry Pi Everything You Need to Know

Library Funding Bill Passes Labor HHS

No comments: